Tuesday 27 October 2009

Meet the Maker - Hodge Podge Arts

Tell us a little about you

My name is Karen Turner, creator of HodgePodgeArts. I am married to Martin and have 3 children and a very lazy lurcher called Archie. I am based in Brackley, Northamptonshire.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?

Although I originally trained as a nurse over 25 years ago I have always had an interest in art. I have been creative in some way all my life but it was when I visited a Jackson Pollock exhibition in 1999 and was blown away by the sheer energy and life in his paintings that I decided to take my interest in art much more seriously. Since then I have completed various art courses including 'Preparation For Fine Art' and an 'Art and Design Foundation' course where I gained a distinction. I am currently studying for a BA (Hons) Design Crafts degree at Oxford and Cherwell college and will be showing my work at New Designers, London , in 2010.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?

I have a long list of Artists and crafts people who I admire or have influenced my work in some way over the years. I visit New Designers show most years and have just been to see the first part of "Origin", came out of there with my head buzzing full of ideas!! waaaay too many for my poor ole head to cope with! :-) but I love going to art exhibitons, craft fairs and galleries of all descriptions. Etsy and the Handm@de fairs have been fantastic. They have built up my confidence as well as introducing me to lots of other wonderful like minded people.

What is your favourite piece?

My favourite ceramic piece of work that I have made so far is an installation piece I did as part of my degree course this year. It is called "Forgotten" and is about the decline in family values and families no longer sitting around the table to eat their meals together. The table has been laid out but only one person has sat down to eat. The whole piece is meant to look as if it has been left for years to deteriorate, abandoned.


What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Oxford?

Oohhh I love seeing all of them!! They are all so fabby!
I love looking at all the jewellery makers as it is something I can't do myself but I also love chatting to other ceramic artists/potters about ideas, making processes etc as there is always so much to learn.

No comments: