Wednesday 21 October 2009

Meet the Maker - MiaBelle Jewellery

Tell us a little about you

Hi I'm Belinda, I live in Staffordshire with my husband and son. I'm originally from Australia and have been living in the UK for 7 years. I run Mia Belle Jewellery and sell on a number of different UK & global sites. I also sell brass jewellery findings & stampings on Etsy, my store is The Brass Charm Co. Lastly I run Shop Handmade UK, a directory of UK based designer / makers now with over 1100 designers listed.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?

Yes, crafting and making started when I was about 10yrs old. I would make fabric lavender sachets and sell them on consignment at a local craft & gift shop. My mother has always been a crafty person so it just rubbed off on me and crafting was something we always did. It was later in my teens when my mother moved into making bridal headwear using Swarovski crystal that I started making jewellery.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?

I wouldn't say I'm influenced by just one artist, I think seeing the vast amount of talent we have in the UK is inspiration itself. Seeing the different materials & techniques designers use is interesting and it does make you think outside the box. Recently my mother visited from Australia and she has been working with silver art clay so I started to test a few designs out and I hope to bring some of these to Handm@de Oxford.

What is your favourite piece?

I really like my Flora Gold Earrings. I love gold and the handmade hoops compliment the gorgeous Czech glass flowers. They are a stunning green with gold flecks on them.


What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Oxford?

I'm really keen to see Pennydog Jewellery & Quercus Silver, both who work with resin but in such very different ways. I'm also keen to see all of Hatastics' designs as I've seen Chloe's hair clips and they are gorgeous.

No comments: